Opportunities and Events
Smart Cities REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) program
December 23, 2020 @ 8:00 am - February 12, 2021 @ 5:00 pm UTC-7
Applications are open now through February 12th, 2021
We are excited to announce the inaugural year of our Smart Cities REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) program focusing on intelligent transportation systems (ITS), automated vehicles (AV), and vehicle-to-everything (V2X) communication at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). Applications are open now through February 12th, 2021 at our website:
and we would appreciate your sharing this information with your electrical and computer engineering and computer science undergraduates. We look forward to receiving applications from a broad array of diverse backgrounds.
Here is a summary of the program’s features:
· 10-week research program: June 3 – Aug 7, 2021.
· Participants receive a $6,000 stipend.
· Participants are mentored by a UNLV faculty member in the Electrical and Computer Engineering or Computer Science Department.
· Participants will conduct research to address the challenges of building intelligent, safe, and secure Smart Cities with a focus on mobility.
· Participants engage in co-curricular activities with their cohort such as workshops on writing academic papers and presenting research.
· Application deadline: February 12th, 2021 (see the website: https://smartcities.sites.unlv.edu/).
· Notification: March 1st, 2021 (students will be notified whether they were accepted into the program).
· Program dates: June 3 – Aug 7, 2021.
· Covid-19 Impact: While we plan on having a full research program for Summer 2021, state and campus policy will dictate whether the program is in-person or remote.