Opportunities and Events
- This event has passed.
DHS Summer Research Team Program For Minority Serving Institutions – Faculty – DHS-SRTMSI-2021
December 23, 2020 @ 8:00 am - January 11, 2021 @ 5:00 pm UTC-7
Application Deadline: January 11 , 2021, 11:59 PM EST
- Faculty members submit a Faculty Application and Curriculum Vitae (CV) – January 11 , 2021, 11:59 PM EST.
- Selected Faculty will be notified of their invitation to submit a Team Application. The Team Application includes:
- Research Project Proposal: The DHS Center researcher and faculty member work together to define a research project, project goals and location where the research project will be conducted. The proposed research project must be reviewed and approved by the DHS Center before the Research Project Proposal is submitted to ORISE via Zintellect.
- Student Applications: Selected Faculty members assemble a Research Team. Faculty members identify one or two qualified students to complete the summer research team. Applications are submitted by students via Zintellect.
Deadline for Student Applications: February 15, 2021, 11:59 PM EST.
Deadline for Student References: February 22, 2021, 11:59 PM EST.
Deadline for Research Proposal: February 22, 2021, 11:59 PM EST.
All components of the Team Application must be submitted by February 22, 2021, 11:59 PM, EST, to be considered. Incomplete Team Applications will not be eligible.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Summer Research Team (SRT) Program for Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) is now accepting applications from faculty at Minority Serving Institutions (MSI) interested in participating in a summer research team experience. Selected Faculty will be invited to submit a Team Application including a Research Project Proposal developed in collaboration with a DHS Center researcher and applications from one or two qualified students.
The program seeks to increase and enhance the scientific leadership at MSIs in research areas that support the mission and goals of DHS. This program provides faculty and student research teams with the opportunity to conduct research at the university-based DHS Centers of Excellence (DHS Centers). At the end of the ten week appointment, faculty are encouraged to apply for up to $50,000 in follow-on funding to continue research during the 2021-2022 academic year at the faculty’s home academic institution.
This year’s participating Centers of Excellence are:
- Arctic Domain Awareness Center (ADAC)
- Center for Accelerating Operational Efficiency (CAOE)
- Center of Excellence for Cross-Border Threat Screening and Supply Chain Defense (CBTS)
- Criminal Investigations and Network Analysis (CINA)
- Critical Infrastructure Resilience Institute (CIRI)
- Coastal Resilience Center (CRC)
- Maritime Security Center (MSC)
- National Counterterrorism Innovation, Technology, and Education (NCITE)
- Stipend of $1,200 per week for faculty, $600 per week for undergraduates and $700 per week for graduate students during the 10-week research experience period
- Housing Allowance
- Limited Travel Reimbursement
- Follow-on funding of up to $50,000 to continue research during the 2021-2022 academic year
For detailed program information, and application resources please visit http://www.orau.gov/dhseducation/faculty/index.html.
If you have questions, send an email to DHSed@orau.org. Please include the program name- DHS SRT Program in the subject of your email.
General Eligibility Information for All Team Members
- Be at an eligible Minority Serving Institution (MSI) at that time of application. This also encompasses those institutions with high Hispanic Enrollment and American Indian and Alaska Native-Serving Institutions.
- Be a United States citizen by the application deadline. Evidence of U.S. citizenship (such as a photocopy of a U.S. passport, birth certificate, Certificate of U.S. Naturalization, or Certificate of U.S. Citizenship) must be submitted to ORISE at the time award is accepted.
- Be able to participate in the program for ten consecutive weeks during the same period as other team members. Full-time on-site participation at the DHS Center is required.
- Have coverage under a health insurance plan before arriving at the appointment site and maintain coverage during the appointment.
- Meet the requirements for the appropriate applicant level.